Reflect in Teams
Field of activity – formal/informal/non-formal:
Free tab in Teams for Education
Implementing organization/lead organization:
Challenge or social need:
- One-on-one attention has an enormous impact on engagement, learning, and well-being of students. Without it, students’ needs can be missed, and emotions can surface in ways that aren’t easy to understand. With Reflect is possible to make check-ins part of a routine to give each of students a place to share their feelings.
- Self-awareness and self-management are critical skills for lifelong learning: by providing
opportunities for students to reflect on their learning educators not only inform the trajectory of their teaching, but also increase students’ agency in learning. In this way, students can practice asking for help and develop a growth mindset through honestly evaluating their effort, motivation, and progress.
- Evidence shows that teachers with higher levels of social emotional competence have more effective classroom management, better retention, and higher academic achievement in their students. To effectively teach SEL skills, educators first need space to reflect personally and recognize their skills and opportunities for growth; Reflect responds to this need.
Reflect in Teams is a check-in app to support connection, expression, and learning. It helps students recognize and navigate their emotions by providing regular opportunities to share and be heard.
Reflect is a tab in Teams for Education that can help broaden learners’ emotional vocabulary and deepen empathy for their peers while also providing valuable feedback to educators for a healthy classroom community.
This free check-in app uses emojis and characters to help students develop emotional granularity (an individual’s ability to differentiate between the specificity of their emotions). Research demonstrates that explicit teaching of social and emotional skills improves student academic and behavioural performance and has life-long positive impacts.
Benefits/success factors/ measurement of success:
- Useful for building self-awareness and empathy
- Useful for grow emotional vocabulary
- Useful for identifying and navigating through emotions
- Useful for developing growth-mindset and confidence
Reflect is a tab in Teams so it must be used in conjunction with Microsoft Teams.
In the long term, sharing emotions through Reflect can support students in their learning.
It is an online tool so it can be used anywhere. It only needs an internet connection.
Inclusive characteristics/Innovative elements:
- Students can use emojis and illustrated representations of emotion words to share their personal experience with educators.
- Reflect is a space to share helps build a classroom ecosystem where students feel safe making mistakes and growing.